Hong Kong protestor kills himself after stabbing police officer

Video feed captured by a local website in Hong Kong shows a gory attack on police officer after which the assailant stabbed himself in the chest. The attacker was caught on camera around 10:00pm, Thursday walking up behind the officer and striking him from behind.

This act has since been condemned the Chief Executive Officer. The knife attack the previous night on a uniformed police officer took place in the Causeway Bay neighborhood.

The 50-year-old assailant then stabbed himself in the chest before being subdued by police, the government said in a statement. He was pronounced dead at 11:20 p.m. Thursday. The officer was in serious condition as of noon Friday, according to a government spokesperson.

Speaking on the subject the Hong Kong’s leader, Carrie Lam, denounced the stabbing of a policeman in a known busy commercial street, thus showing shows how tensions still hanf on thin threads in the Asian financial center despite bans on major protests.

Flowers were dropped at the site of the incident and dropped notes reading “R.I.P.” outside police headquarters, local media including the Citizen News website reported.

Some Hong Kong activists interpreted the attack as an act of desperation against a government that has grown increasingly intolerant of dissent.

The police stepped up monitoring of online traffic to guard against copycats, the South China Morning Post newspaper reported, citing people familiar with the matter. Some social media users had already encouraged others to launch similar attacks, the Post said.

The incident marred an otherwise muted holiday, after police deployed some 10,000 officers to prevent pro-democracy activists from protesting on the 24th anniversary of the former British colony’s return to Chinese rule.

The date, which has often drawn mass demonstrations in the past, was all the more sensitive this year because it coincided with President Xi Jinping’s efforts to celebrate the Communist Party’s centennial in Beijing.

Facing threats of arrest under a powerful national security law imposed a year ago this week, most democracy supporters stayed off the streets or avoided congregating Thursday. The police also shut Victoria Park, which has been a site of major protests, and searched activists who attempted to gather around the nearby shopping streets of Causeway Bay.

Source: Bloomberg